Thursday, October 8, 2009

Glow In The Dark Freezer Paper T-Shirt


Another freezer paper t-shirt made using Sure Cuts a Lot (SCAL) and my Cricut Expression. The font is Halloween Regular, available for free here.

I used the only glow-in-the-dark fabric paint I could find at Michael's, Tulip Dimensional Glow in Natural Glow. I probably could have used regular glow-in-the-dark acrylic paint, but I really love the texture of these Duncan fabric paints, and it was pretty much a sure thing. The only issue I foresaw was that the paint was labeled "dimensional," so I didn't know how it would out spread thin as I would have to do it to fill in the stencil.

After a little experimenting with applying the glow paint directly to the black t-shirt, I realized that the paint would have to be applied over white paint (over other light color) to work. So, I went ahead and painted in some white fabric paint, and allowed that to dry for about 8 hours. I then added a layer of the glow paint. I'm guessing the glow paint wouldn't need to be over a white layer if I had used it as a dimensional paint. However, because I needed to be able to spread it thin to fill in all the stencilled areas, painting it over white really seemed to do the trick. After drying, I removed the freezer paper stencil - and, voila! A custom glow in the dark t-shirt! And yes, it really did glow - I tested it out in the closet. :)

I might add a glittery pumpkin or witch hat to the shirt. These are so fun and the kids really love them!

No comments: