Monday, April 9, 2007

Use What You Have Month

I'm officially joining Rhembein and others in "Use What You Have Month." I've complained about this before, as I have a problem with my sewing output not matching my fabric input. I know lots of people like having a big stash. I don't. To me, it's a little wasteful to have so much fabric that goes unused. Maybe it's because of my limited budget or my limited space, but I like to buy only what I need. I recently gave away a huge amount of fabric that was going unused. I donated it to Lizzy's high school sewing class, at least I feel like I was contributing to a good cause.

Not that stashes are all bad, it is nice to be able to select a pattern and then go shopping from the "stash" without having to hit the local fabric mart. And perhaps in the long run it will be more cost-effective. I am finding that co-ops are a great way to build a stash fast, although I usually end up with lots of fabric. But it is a good savings, as long as I use it. Between the coops, 40% coupons and sales I might just be able to keep my overall costs down.

All that being said, I'm happy to be a part of Use What You Have Month. Although I really wish it was in May and not April. I won't be able to do as much as I want because of exams. But I suppose there is no reason I can't keep going after April is over.

No comments: