Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bon Temps Rouler!

Happy Fat Tuesday! Today is Mardi Gras, in case you didn't know. I lived in New Orleans several years ago, and I still love to mark the day. We'll have jambalaya and king cake for dinner tonight, and my front door is decorated with purple, gold and green beads (caught during Gasparilla, of course). Do you know what the colors of Mardi Gras in New Orleans stand for? They were established by the Krewe of Rex, one of the earliest Krewe's in New Orleans celebration. Purple is for justice, gold for power, and green for faith.

Although it would have been fitting, I didn't create a card for today. My craft area has been taken over by my file cabinet reorganization project and I just haven't been able to craft in a while. I've got some new Hero Arts and Basic Grey goodies though, so it's just a matter of time.

I've been recently inspired by all the beautiful ephemera that is associated with Mardi Gras. In the early 19th & 20th centuries, invitations to balls were extravagantly decorated and often imported from France. I've shared a few examples below. Bon vivant!









No comments: