Tuesday, July 7, 2009

REVIEW: Williams-Sonoma Ad Hoc Fried Chicken Kit

Looks good right? A few days ago I wrote about my plans to make fried chicken using the Williams-Sonoma fried chicken kit, based on Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc recipe. I'd read the recipe in Food & Wine and Bon Appetit, and had also read numerous raving reviews from people who've been to the restaurant.

I made the purchase on Thursday, against my better judgment. We drove to W-S in the pouring rain. And of course as soon as I'm getting ready to check-out, Olivia requested a potty break. The staff told me where the nearest public restroom was, nearly a block away. I was a little bothered that they wouldn't let us use the one in the store. It was pouring rain, and this wasn't a shopping mall - and when a kid has to go, they have to go. I was really tempted to leave then, and I should have (remind me to listen to my gut!).

To make a long story short, I prepared the kit almost exactly as the directions called for. I brined overnight, and then battered. The only difference in what I did is that I allowed the chicken to dry after it was battered, not before. I felt it would be a little safer and I think letting the crust dry really helps it to "stick."

It looked great, but unfortunately - I really hated the taste. I can't really put a finger on what was bad, it wasn't one flavor that stood out. But there was a very strong artificial aftertaste that left a bad taste. The seasonings aren't anything unusual either, so the only explanation I have is that there must be some preservative in the kit that gives everything an unusual taste.

I was considering returning it, but that seems tacky, plus I can't find the receipt. But now I have half a kit that I don't know what to do with?

So, in case you were considering this - I would not recommend it.

No comments: